CURRENT TRENDS OF TNC's INTERNATIONAL INVESTMENT ACTIVITIES DEVELOPMENT
In today's world, the main subject of globalization are large transnational corporations (TNCs), which have a significant impact on the world economy development. The study of TNC investment processes plays an important role for economics.
The purpose of the paper is to highlighte the current trends of TNCs international investment activities. In 2018, the value of cross-border mergers and acquisitions (M&A) increased by 18 % due to the large size of transactions, especially in the chemical industry and services. The cost of the announced greenfield projects increased by 41%, an increase mainly was in mining, processing and construction. Regarding the manufacturing sector, the net M&A sales at the global level remained close to the 2017 level. Deal making in the pharmaceutical industry declined for the third successive year. M&A sales have more than doubled in chemical industry. In services, net M&A sales increased by over one third.
The article highlights that there must be a stable political situation and an effective system of business regulation that provide the investor, ie TNCs, a guarantee of rights and protection of interests for the successful operation of TNCs in the host country. High level of corruption and misuse of funds, the complexity of doing business, the unstable political and economic situation in the country are the factors that negatively affect on the investment activities of TNCs.
One of the promising areas of TNC investment activity is fintech – the newest and fastest growing sector of the global economy. Advanced achievements of scientific and technological progress, financial innovations, achievements and advantages of information, digital, network and intellectual components are concentrated in fintech today. ASEAN TNCs often merge fintech-start-ups and initiate fintech-departments to expand services and integrate financial technology into traditional businesses. Thus, the Malaysian bank CIMB Group in 2017 established a separate fintech-division in order to find innovative banking solutions. The construction of a mobile banking platform in Vietnam and the Philippines, a mobile payment wallet developed with the participation of Chinese and Thai companies are the examples of such projects.
2. Haidutskyi I. P. (2008) Rozvytok transnatsionalnykh korporatsii (TNK) ta yikhnii vplyv na ekonomiku krain [Development of transnational corporations (TNCs) and their impact on the economy]. Ekonomika APK –Economics of agro-industrial complex,1, 53-58 [in Ukrainian].
3. Kochetkov V.M. (2013) Rozvytok ukrainskykh TNK yak faktor rostu ekonomiky krainy [Development of Ukrainian TNCs as a factor of economic growth of the country], Efektyvna ekonomika – Efficient economy, 10, 55-60 [in Ukrainian].
4. Nemyrovska O.V. (2015) Mekhanizm rehuliuvannia vzaiemodii natsionalnoi ekonomiky z transnatsionalnymy korporatsiiamy [Mechanism for regulating the interaction of the national economy with transnational corporations], Ekonomika ta derzhava – Economy and state, 12, 121-125 [in Ukrainian].
5. Rudenko L. V.(2009) Upravlinnia potokamy kapitaliv u suchasnii biznes-modeli funktsionuvannia transnatsionalnykh korporatsii [Management of capital flows in the modern business model of multinational corporations], Zhurnal Yevropeiskoi ekonomiky – Journal of the European Economy, 2, 232-233 [in Ukrainian].
6. Terekhov Ye.M., Prokopenko O.V.(2010) Vplyv transnatsionalnykh korporatsii na rozvytok natsionalnykh ekonomichnykh system [The influence of transnational corporations on the development of national economic systems], Visnyk Sumskoho derzhavnoho universytetu: Ser. «Ekonomika» – Bulletin of Sumy State University: Ser. "Economy", 1, 103-113 [in Ukrainian].
7. Fedorenko V.H. (2009) Transnatsionalni korporatsii yak systemoutvoriuiuchyi faktor rozvytku natsionalnykh ekonomik [Transnational corporations as a system-forming factor in the development of national economies], Investytsii: praktyka ta dosvid – Investments: practice and experience, 7, 31-34 [in Ukrainian].
8. Chumak N. V. (2016) Problemni aspekty diialnosti transnatsionalnykh korporatsii v Ukraini [Problematic aspects of transnational corporations in Ukraine], Hlobalni ta natsionalni problemy ekonomiky – Global and national economic problems, 9, 719-723 [in Ukrainian].
9. Davydova I.O., Velychko K.Iu., Pechenka O.I. (2018) Transnatsionalni korporatsii [Transnational corporations]. Kharkiv: Vydavnytstvo «Fort». Retrieved from: http://elib.hduht.edu.ua/jspui/bitstream/123456789/2672/1/%D0%A2%D0%9D%D0%9A%202-%D0%B3%D0%B5%20%D0%B2%D0%B8%D0%B4%D0%B0%D0%BD%D0%BD%D1%8F.pdf. [in Ukrainian].
10. Kvon H.M. (2012) Nekotorye voprosy strategicheskogo upravlenija regionami: investicionnyj aspekt [Some issues of strategic regional management: investment aspect], Vestnik jekonomiki, prava i sociologii – Bulletin of Economics, Law and Sociology, 4, 52-55. Retrieved from::https://cyberleninka.ru/article/n/nekotorye-voprosy-strategicheskogo-upravleniya-regionami-investitsionnyy-aspekt/viewer [in Russian].
11. Kravechnok M. Problemy zaluchennia priamykh investytsii transnatsionalnykh korporatsii v ekonomiku Ukrainy [Problems of attracting direct investment of transnational corporations in the economy of Ukraine] Retrieved from: http://personal.in.ua/article.php?ida=468. [in Ukrainian].
12. Minlibaev, A. D. Problemy privlechenija inostrannyh investicij v rossijskuju jekonomiku [Problems of attracting foreign investment in the Russian economy]. Retrieved from: https://cyberleninka.ru/article/n/problemy-privlecheniya-inostrannyh-investitsiy-v-rossiyskuyu-ekonomiku/viewer [in Russian].
13. Ofitsiinyi sait YuNKTAD [Official UNCTAD website]. Retrieved from:: http://www.unctad.org. [in English].
14. Pobochenko L. M. (2013) Analiz investytsiinoi diialnosti transnatsionalnykh korporatsii [Analysis of investment activities of transnational corporations], Naukovi zhurnaly Natsionalnoho Aviatsiinoho universytetu – Scientific journals of the National Aviation University, 3, 120-127. Retrieved from: http://jrnl.nau.edu.ua/index.php/SR/article/view/7022. [in Ukrainian].
15. Prokhorova M. E. (2011) Osoblyvosti formuvannia vplyvu zarubizhnykh TNK na Ukrainu v 21 st. [Features of the formation of the foreign TNCs influence on Ukraine in the XXI century], Naukovyi visnyk Instytutu mizhnarodnykh vidnosyn NAU. Seriia: ekonomika, pravo, politolohiia, turyzm – Scientific Bulletin of the Institute of International Relations of NAU. Series: economics, law, political science, tourism, 4, 49-55. Retrieved from: http://jrnl.nau.edu.ua/index.php/IMV/article/view/3261/3214 [in Ukrainian].
16. Sus' E. E., Dudakova L. G. (2018) Vlijanie prjamyh inostrannyh investicij transnacional'nyh korporacij na jekonomiku prinimajushhih stran [Influence of foreign direct investment of transnational corporations on the economy of host countries], Molodoj uchenyj – A young scientist, 13, 264-266. Retrieved from: https://moluch.ru/archive/199/48958. [in Russian].
17. FINTEKh V UKRAINI: tendentsii, ohliad rynku ta kataloh [FINTECH IN UKRAINE: trends, market overview and catalog]. Retrieved from: https://data.unit.city/fintech/fgt34ko67mok/fintech_in_Ukraine_2018_ua.pdf. [in Ukrainian].
18. Annual Fintech Almanac: Financing and M&A Statistics. Retrieved from: http://fpnpu.cibs.ubs.edu.ua/article/view/177100/177124. [in English].
19. Baldwin H., Gulamhuseinwala I. UK FinTech. On the cutting edge. Retrieved from: https://fintechauscensus.ey.com/2018/Documents/EY-UK-FinTech-On-the-cutting-edge.pdf. [in English].
20. Beyond Fintech: A Pragmatic Assessment of Disruptive Potential in Financial Services. World Economic Forum, August 2017. Retrieved from: http://www3.weforum.org/docs/Beyond_Fintech_-_A_Pragmatic_Assessment_of_Disruptive_Potential_in_Financial_Services.pdf. [in English].
21. Dunning J.H. (1990) The electic paradigm as an envelope for economic and business theories of MNE activity. International Business Review, 9, 163-190. Retrieved from: https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/55e1/aa8c94e7c8bee261555d4059a3552628a1a8.pdf. [in English].
22. Fintech definition. Retrieved from: https://www.fintechweekly.com/fintech-definition. [in English].
23. Hwee W. K., Kirollos K., Cecilia Salta M. (2018) ASEAN Investment Report 2018: Foreign Direct Investment and the Digital Economy in ASEAN. Retrieved from: https://asean.org/storage/2018/11/ASEAN-Investment-Report-2018-for-Website.pdf. [in English].
24. Pulse of Fintech 2018. Global Analysis of Investment in Fintech. KPMG International. Retrieved from: https://assets.kpmg/content/dam/kpmg/it/pdf/2018/08/Pulse-of-Fintech-H118.pdf. [in English].
25. Sarumi Adewumi (2012). The Impact of FDI on Growth in Developing Countries: An African Experience. Jönköpig. Retrieved from: https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/5a79/2039bc0151eb4178916423d2a924358e2f63.pdf. [in English].
26. Soon L. N., Thung B. (2018) ASEAN FinTech Census. Retrieved from: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/330702115_ASEAN_FinTech_Census_2018. [in English].
27. The Fortune 500. Retrieved from: https://fortune.com/global500/2019/search/. [in English].
28. These are the 5 largest mega-mergers so far in 2019. Retrieved from: https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/5-biggest-mega-mergers-of-2019-according-to-mergermarket-2019-10-1028578297#1-bristol-myers-squibb-celgene5. [in English].
29. Willem Jan Lammers. The Investment Development Path: Is It Relevant For Designing Foreign Direct Investment Policies? Retrieved from: https://edepot.wur.nl/411387. [in English].
30. World Investment Report 2019. World Trade Organization. Retrieved from: https://unctad.org/en/PublicationsLibrary/wir2019_en.pdf. [in English].